Even the name is a bit intimidating. Balayage. But in 2018 we want you to rethink it and understand this French term is really just hair painting. Through this process we achieve a natural, less noticeable re-growth so the process doesn’t have to be repeated as often as highlights.
There are other benefits too. Colorist Tana Isenhour explains it this way. “I love hair painting because not only is the whole experience different for the client, but you’re also in more control of where the highlights appear. You can be as creative as you want whether you’re looking for something a bit bold or more natural.”
The great thing about hair painting is that the client can also be more specific. If you want multi tones, we can layer applications. But if you’re just after a bit of contrast, your FRESH colorist can hair paint just a little. And if your hair is thin, this process can also make fine hair feel and appear thicker, an added benefit, she says.
So don’t be intimidated by the name. Talk to your colorist about hair painting!
(All images by Fresh Salon colorists)
Tired of the cold? Want to break out? Need to try something new? Here are our top three hair colors for Winter 2018!
Do you want to be bold? Terra-Cotta Red is your answer. Mix red hair with gold highlights and you’re making a statement. Remember, you don’t have to make drastic changes. Even a little Terra-Cotta goes a long way!
Celebrities love it! And it’s easy to become obsessed with it. You will certainly turn heads with this totally blonde inspiration. It’s sexy, edgy and youthful. Let this be your signature look in 2018!
Warm up your complexion by asking your FRESH colorist to frame your face with caramel tones that will make your beautiful eyes pop! We love it because caramel breaks up natural brunette shades and adds interest. Don’t be afraid to experiment with this rich tone.
We hear the term often at FRESH. “Now I’m going to add texture.” So, what does it mean and why is texturizing so important? Stylist Nikki Prendergast says texturizing is great because it can add body to your style and cut.
“Texturizing can take an OK shape and make it amazing simply by removing weight and creating movement,” she says. Is your hair shorter? Texturizing is still very important. Shorter pieces support the longer pieces and add lift and volume.
The key to a great look for fine hair lies in spacing out the areas appropriately. “Thicker hair can withhold a little more texturizing than fine hair.” Have curly hair? If so, texture will create a three-dimensional shape that looks awesome, says Nikki.
Once you have the cut and texture you love, try ARROJO’s great texture supporting products. Start with a shampoo/conditioner combination like Daily shampoo and Daily conditioner which keep your hair “balanced and refreshed.” Then add ARROJO’S Texture Paste to define short, loose or messy styles.
It hits you in the jaw. Literally. It’s the blunt bob, inspired by Beyonce and gracing the Spring 2018 runways from New York to Paris.
If part of your resolution is to have stronger, healthier looking hair (to go along with you stronger, healthier body, no doubt) than this is a great solution. The classic cut that frames your face and hits just at your chin, is this year’s modern version of the Bob.
We love the straight Bob with Ombre Highlights, the Asymmetrical Bob and adding bangs for those of you with thicker hair.
See your FRESH stylist to get the version that’s best for you!
The New Year is a great time to find that New Look! These two celebrities are creating a buzz and we wanted to share their hair highlights! Then, if you want to give it a try, call us.
Selena Gomez: She’s calling it Nirvana Blonde. And insiders say it took 9 hours, 300 foils and 8 bowls of bleach for 2 stylists to pull off this perfect look on this Hollywood A-Lister! Selena herself gave advice to anyone who might want to try NirvanaBlonde in 2018: Patience, for both the stylist and the client. Important to note, Selena’s NirvanaBlonde will likely be everywhere in 2018… so ask your FRESH colorist if there’s a version for you!
Meghan Markle: We love Meghan’s bouncy, voluminous waves. Do you have long hair? If so, and you want to give it a try, part your hair in the middle, then use a 1 ¼ -inch curling wand to style. Wrap your hair, but leave out the ends and curl away from your face. The look isn’t complete though, without the shine. To get that perfect look try ARROJO’S Shine Spray which gives a polished finish that turns heads, even if you’re not engaged to a Prince!
Before you make a New Year’s resolution that is too hard to keep, and will leave you frustrated, try these simple best bets for 2018. They’ll make a difference and leave you looking and feeling successful in the New Year.
- Clean your make-up brushes: The brushes you use to put on base or eye shadow become dirty over time. And let’s face it, leaving them in a grimy make-up bag makes things even worse. So, spend an afternoon cleaning your brushes with mild, soapy water. Let them air dry. A clean brush will make a difference when you put on your make-up and will lead to less breakouts from dirt and grime.
- Sleep an extra 15 minutes a night by getting to bed earlier: Nothing will help your frame of mind more than sleep. Don’t cheat on this one. Take 15 in ’18 for a healthier you!
- Use an SPF… EVERY DAY: Sun screen is not just for the summer. Wear an SPF every day to reduce your chance of damage from the sun’s dangerous rays. And your SPF doesn’t have to cost a fortune. Dermatologists recommend drug store brands that have an SPF of 15 or greater. FYI: an SPF of 15 will block 93% of UVB radiation. An SPF of 30 will block up to 97%.
- Drink Water: Avoid puffy eyes and tired looking skin. Hydrate. Enough Said!
- Stop over using heating tools: Blow dryers and curling irons can leave your hair dry and brittle. Give your hair a break a few times each week. You’ll see the difference in healthier, happier hair!
It’s a FRESH Holiday tradition.
Every year colorist Jen Spil Busch and Stylist Nikki Prenderast put down their styling tools and put on their aprons! They turn our salon into a hip holiday café with lots of great treats; it’s their way of thanking the hundreds of clients we all work with every year.
Here are their favorites!
Heath Bar Candy:
- 1 Pack of Saltine Crackers
- 1 ag of Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Pecans
- 2 Sticks of salted butter
- 1 Cup of Brown Sugar
- Melt butter and brown sugar on medium eat until thick and foaming
- Spread mixture over saltines, layed out on a foiled and pam sprayed pan
- While still warm, spread chocolate chips over and let melt
- Sprinkle with nut mixture as desired
Bake for 12 minutes at 350
- 1 1/3 Cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 2 TBS All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 2 Large Egg Whites
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a small bowl, combine coconut, sugar, flour, salt. Add egg whites and vanilla. Mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Cool on wire rack.
- Makes about 1 ½ Dozen
Check out the plate of goodies! And take special notice of the placement cards made by Jen! Here’s wishing everyone a healthy, happy holiday and a prosperous New Year!